How to Care for Your Wide Brim
Hat Care 101
Let’s talk hat care. Wander Hat Co's American-made wide brims are specially designed and made with love for our Wanderers to enjoy year-round. When you invest in one of our wide brims, we want to ensure you get the most out of your new accessory. With these tips, your wool-felt wide brim has the best opportunity to keep its pristine condition and last for years to come.
How do I store my hat?Wander wide brims are not only the perfect accessory, but they are beautiful to look at even when you aren't wearing them. If you love your hats as much as we do, we understand wanting them to be on display. These are three recommended ways to store your wool felt wide brim hat that will add flair to your space while ensuring your wide brim keeps its shape.
Hanging: If you have a collection of hats and limited space, creating a hat wall is a perfect addition to your home to keep your hats organized and easily accessible. Be sure that when hanging your wide brims, place a cotton or foam ball on the tip of the nail to avoid damaging your hat. Alternatively, attach heavy-duty command strips to your wall, and get as creative as you'd like with your hat wall.
Tip: If wide brims are a part of your daily uniform, a hat wall near a mirror or above a dresser is a great grab-and-go option. This way, you can easily test out different wide brims with your outfit and keep your space clutter-free.
Hat Box: Every Wander wide brim purchased online comes in a custom hat box that is designed to store your wide brim in-between wears. These special boxes suspend the crown and allow even more support for the hat brim. You can store your boxes under your bed, in your closet, or on display for some added Wander decor.
Shop the Wander Hat Wide Brim Collection for your custom hat box.
Tip: As you can imagine, a wide brim box is large and can take up a lot of space. A hat box is a great option for long-term storage and can be placed in a closet or under your bed for safekeeping.
Shelf: If you already have shelves in your home, this is a great place to store your wide brim. Use shelves at eye level to include 'everyday' items, such as your favorite wide brim, a picture, and a book you are currently reading. We recommend flipping the hat upside down on its crown rather than laying it flat on its brim. This avoids putting too much pressure on the brim, leading to changing shape over time. Alternatively, place your brim on a hat stand to place on your shelf.
Tip: If space is limited on your shelves, place your brim on a hat stand for easy storing. Keeping your shelves at eye level or lower allows you to easily grab your brim and see if it needs dusting.
Keeping your Wide Brim Clean
If you are an avid hat wearer, then you know all too well the feeling of dirtying your favorite hat. This inevitable occurrence should not stop you from purchasing a new wide brim. Instead, use these tips to help manage the mess and keep stains at bay. Use these helpful tips to store your wide brim when on the go.
1. If you every need a break from your wide brim when you are out and about, just be mindful of where you place it.
- Make sure your wide brim is out of reach from potential food and liquid spills. If possible, use the back of a chair to hang your brim for the time being.
2. Bring a larger purse that is big enough to fit your wide brim.
- If you have a large enough purse or bag on hand, bring it with you or keep it in your car in case your wide brim needs a place to be temporarily stored.
- Helpful Tip: Pack a hair brush and dry shampoo to fix the hat hair!
If you are wearing a hat, more times than not it is to cover up a bad hair day. Keep a hair brush and travel size dry shampoo in your purse to fix your hair if you need to take off your brim.
3. Keep an extra Wander Hat Box in your trunk.
- Keeping a hat box in your trunk will ensure you always have a place to store your wide brim. Make sure your car is out of direct sunlight to avoid damaging the hat.
And if your brim does get dirty, no problem!
Spot clean your hat with a warm damp white washcloth using luke warm water. Make sure the cloth doesn’t have any dye that can transfer over onto your hat. Gently buff away any stains and allow the hat to air dry.
Remove any dust or hair using a lint roller or a soft-bristled brush.
Gently brush the area with your lint roller. Keep a lint roller next to where you store your hats so you always remember to upkeep your brim.
If your hat gets wet and begins to lose its shape, or there is a more prevalent stain, we recommend taking it to a professional hat repair shop. Do not put your hat in a dryer or use high heat as this can cause damage to the wool material.
Hat Care 101 Recap
- Store your brim in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. Prolonged sun exposure can lead to discoloration.
- Be mindful of where you place your wide brim in between wears.
- Use your Wander Hat Box to store your wide brims.
- Get creative your wide brim wall decor and share your hat wall inspo with us on Instagram @wanderhatco!